Everyone in any business of any age, of any industry is aware of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, and are feeling the pressure to jump in and utilize social media networks for business. Either you know you must get started or improve what you’ve done already. The underlying fears for all are, “Am I going to waste my money figuring it out?” and “How do I actually turn this effort into profits?” Deeper still, for most, success with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Foursquare, Yelp and the miriad of other social networks is feeling confident with WHY you are doing it in the first place.
Here, I outline a handful of reasons why every business owner and executive must take social networks as seriously as companies were forced to take radio advertising in the 40s, television advertising in 60s, direct mail in the 80s and having a web site in the 90s. Ignore social media and be left behind your competition that is smart enough to embrace it and do it right.
- Everyone uses them. EVERYONE!
- Everyone expects to see you there.
- Tremendous customer service and market research opportunities
- They are the modern water cooler and coffee klatch.
- Where people ask for referrals
- Yes, “boring businesses” have fans waiting for your content too!
- Search engines heavily weight social content in SERP rankings.
- Provide low cost communications and promotions.